Saturday, 31 October 2015

Akkadian Sentences

I have officially begun writing sentences in Akkadian!

Taking Latin for four years has been an incredible help for learning Akkadian. As I already learned about genitives and nominatives in Latin, I don't have to spend any time learning about what they are when they have come up in my Akkadian textbook. This means that I can quickly focus in on how the grammar is applied rather than on what the terms actually mean.
I am going to dissect a simple sentence in Akkadian to show what I have learned so far:

mārtum ša šarrim šī

mārtum - nominative, singular, feminine form of "mārtum" (daughter)
ša - determinative pronoun meaning "of" or "the one of", ša always takes goes with a genitive
šarrim - genitive, singular, masculine form of "šarrum" (king), it is genitive because it goes with ša and is possessive
šī - third person, nominative, feminine pronoun (she). It is at the end of a sentence because subjects of verb-less clauses (if they are pronouns) are placed at the end of the sentence. 
Akkadian has no verb "to be" - a "to be" clause (known as a verb-less clause) is expressed when you juxtapose the subject and the predicate.

So the translation of "mārtum ša šarrim šī" is "She is the daughter of the king".



4 comments:

  1. It was wonderful catching up with your blog, Charlotte! I am impressed with your interests and work so far. I really like the translation examples. Keep up the great effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool, Charlotte! I find it very interesting that these "verbless" clauses exist; when students first learn a second language, they frequently generate such clauses: puella bona. Ego magistra. This also ties into Latin ablative absolutes which should have an "esse" but don't--"Caesare duce" (with Caesar as general).

    So, is "sa" more like a pronoun or a preposition, or is it a little of both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool, Charlotte! I find it very interesting that these "verbless" clauses exist; when students first learn a second language, they frequently generate such clauses: puella bona. Ego magistra. This also ties into Latin ablative absolutes which should have an "esse" but don't--"Caesare duce" (with Caesar as general).

    So, is "sa" more like a pronoun or a preposition, or is it a little of both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, you blog has been inactive for nearly a month. You need to add two more posts for November, and two for December. Please take care of this before the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete