This blog post is dedicated to introducing the second of the eight prayer texts I am working with. This one is titled "Furious God" and was used by the speaker to approach their personal gods with both an entreaty for forgiveness and an admittance of guilt.
The Mesopotamian prayers I have been studying range in the emotion they portray. Some suggest confidence, some fear. "Furious God" emits feelings of both shame and desperation. The speaker openly begs the gods to replace their anger with kindness:
"May your feelings be soothed, permit be reconciliation,
Let me ever sing your praises, not to be forgotten,
to the numerous peoples"
It almost gives off the impression of an ashamed child begging forgiveness for some wrongdoing from their irate parents.
Interestingly, the prayer never clarifies exactly what exactly the speaker has done wrong other that the vague words:
"I have sworn lightly a solemn oath by your name,
I have disregarded your rites, I went too far"
What this means is not exactly clear. Did the speaker forget to provide their god offerings? Did they vocally disregard their personal god? The possibilities are endless.
However, this vagueness is what differentiates this prayer from the last one I discussed ("Against Any Evil"). While "Against Any Evil" required personalization of the text in order for it to be used, "Furious God" does not even require the names of the personal gods it is intended for. "Furious God" is as general as "Against Any Evil" is specific.
A very interesting post! I like how you give interpretations, and make comparisons with other work.
ReplyDeletePlease make references to your bigger project whenever you can. This gives the readers context, and allows you to explore all of the ways in which your weekly work connects together.